A site devoted mostly to everything related to Information Technology under the sun - among other things.

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Mathematica & Sculpture

Various artists have been using Mathematica to produce artistic structures:

http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/sculpture.html

and

http://www.bathsheba.com/

I clicked on the http://www.bathsheba.com/gallery/interp.html link and I noticed that the structures created by Mathematica are pleasing if they are the size of ornamental jewelry or house-hold goods; i.e. much smaller than the size of a human being.

But they do not "work" when their scale is large (comparable or larger than the size of a human being). They do not look pleasing as "stand-alone" sculptures for the most part; there is too much regularity and therefore they look boring since there is nothing beyond structure.

I am intrigued by this dependence of the sense of beauty on the scale of the work of art and the typical size of a human being.

It reminds me of what Protagoras is purported to have said in 485 B.C., "Man is the measure of everything."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a senior software developer working for General Motors Corporation.. I am interested in intelligent computing and scientific computing. I am passionate about computers as enablers for human imagination. The contents of this site are not in any way, shape, or form endorsed, approved, or otherwise authorized by HP, its subsidiaries, or its officers and shareholders.

Blog Archive