A site devoted mostly to everything related to Information Technology under the sun - among other things.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Venn Diagrams for IT

I have found it efficient to utilize Venn Diagrams in my IT work.

I thought you might like to know that both Visio 2016 and MS Word enable one to create Venn Diagrams.

In Visio 2016, File menu, click New -> Business, and then click Marketing Charts and Diagrams.

[You might need to search for Marketing Charts and Diagrams through the Search Box.]

If you scroll all the way down, you can see Venn Diagram.

In Word 2016, try the following:

Insert -> SmarArt -> Relationship and select the type of Venn Diagram that you prefer.

But these only create static diagrams that are not tied to data.

Our friends in the Bioinformatics community, needing to look at gene expression overlaps, have created many tools in this space.

Many have liked Venny (http://bioinfogp.cnb.csic.es/tools/venny/ ) which supports up to 4 data sets.

I have used VennDIS (please see: http://kislingerlab.uhnres.utoronto.ca/projects/) produced by the University of Toronto. It is a client application written in Java and supports up to 5 data sets.


I used it to discover overlaps among the attributes from 5 different schema.

I think Venn diagrams that are tied to data could help us better visualize and understand the Taxonomy and Data Dictionary of our systems.

[There are many more tools, it seems - many of them completely Web-based.]

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a senior software developer working for General Motors Corporation.. I am interested in intelligent computing and scientific computing. I am passionate about computers as enablers for human imagination. The contents of this site are not in any way, shape, or form endorsed, approved, or otherwise authorized by HP, its subsidiaries, or its officers and shareholders.

Blog Archive