A site devoted mostly to everything related to Information Technology under the sun - among other things.

Friday, April 12, 2024

What Sages Said

“Homo liber de nulla re minus, quam de morte cogitat, et ejus sapientia non mortis, sed vitae meditatio est.”

A free man thinks of death least of all things; and his wisdom is a meditation not of death but of life.

 

Spinoza - Ethics, Part IV, Prop. LXVII


季路问事鬼神。子曰:‘未能事人,焉能事鬼?’‘敢问死。’曰:‘未知生,焉知死?’”(《论语·先进》)

The disciple Ji-Lu asked about serving the spirits, to which Confucius answered, "Before you know how to serve people, how can you serve spirits?"  Ji-Lu asked again about death, to which Confucius answered, "I do not even understand life.  How do I have time to understand death?".

- The Analects

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a senior software developer working for General Motors Corporation.. I am interested in intelligent computing and scientific computing. I am passionate about computers as enablers for human imagination. The contents of this site are not in any way, shape, or form endorsed, approved, or otherwise authorized by HP, its subsidiaries, or its officers and shareholders.

Blog Archive