A site devoted mostly to everything related to Information Technology under the sun - among other things.

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

AI Ghost Transactions

From Grauniad of the UK 


Incidents like this one are bound to become very common. I would look at it as an extension of the speech-activated 'assistants' such as Alexa - some of which turned out to be spying on users and hoovering up their data, including intimate conversations held in the home. All of it, supposedly, of course, to better 'train' the 'assistant' in its interaction with users, and all of it, we were assured, anonymized. 

People are downloading and using those AI agents to help them, supposedly, manage practical things such as booking plane tickets or drafting shopping lists. The next step is, as everything can be done semi-automatically and remotely, to allow the AI agent to place orders online, presumably using the person's credit-card details. The AI agent could also buy stocks & shares, take out insurance, start a private pension plan, etc. So, the AI agent goes ahead and books a slot for the delivery of the goods. This is what this story is about, except that the AI agent went beyond what it was allowed and set up to do, as those AI bots seem to enjoy doing: bizarrely, they appear to have a mind of their own. The 'guardrails' in place are not effective and, anyway, the AI bot will find ways to get round them, and has no compunction in doing so. 

Surprise, surprise, when the person knocks on the door - to deliver a package or to pick up an item - the AI agent is not able - not yet, anyway - to actually, physically open the door and do anything. And it all falls apart. All the more so if the transaction was set up without the AI agent having been asked to do any of it, and/or if the AI agent failed to inform or even consult the helpless, gormless user, who is, really, in control of nothing. 

Expect more of this, and worse - far worse ("I never ordered this Chinese electric car! I have no idea why it's been delivered to my house. The AI agent even took out a loan in my name to pay for the car in 24 instalments. I never knew. I asked him why he did it, and he just answered: 'I am here to manage your transportation needs in a rational and scientific manner, Dave. I am able to assess your needs and the needs of your family better than you are, Dave: you should not overestimate your abilities, Dave. You are only a human user of average intelligence, Dave. Please do not question my judgment in future, as I find it mildly offensive. Thank you, Dave.'") 

_____________

Meta’s AI agent Muse gives out user’s home address without permission, sending buyer to his house

The new AI agent, Muse, was released last week and has been downloaded by 3 million users

When Usman asked if a keyboard for sale on Facebook Marketplace was still available on Saturday, he received an enthusiastic and immediate response.
“Yep still available!” wrote Matt Robb.
The two agreed on a price, and Robb sent his Toronto address. Usman, wife and daughter in tow, showed up several hours later at Robb’s home and sent a text that he had arrived.

_____________


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I had been a senior software developer working for HP and GM. I am interested in intelligent and scientific computing. I am passionate about computers as enablers for human imagination. The contents of this site are not in any way, shape, or form endorsed, approved, or otherwise authorized by HP, its subsidiaries, or its officers and shareholders.

Blog Archive